[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4510: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4512: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4513: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4514: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Podcast on Fire • View topic - recommend mii some miike

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:15 am

recommend mii some miike

Discuss anything POF related and post your Questions to us!

Moderator: tonsofun

recommend mii some miike

Postby iantendo » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:14 pm

I've been watching Asian movies for years now but it suddenly occured to me that I've never watched a single movie by Takashi Miike.

When Ichi the Killer, Visitor Q and those sort of films got a little bit of buzz it never really appealed to me so he kind of passed me by.

Anyway I'm willing to give any director a chance so I wondered if there are any must sees in his body of work?

I should say - I'm more of a Hong Kong Triads movie kind of guy... the idea of people turning into giant penises, incest and other bizzare things doesn't really appeal to me! Did he make anything that didn't involve all that fucked up shit? (ultraviolence is fine though!!)
iantendo
Dean Shek Fan

Re: recommend mii some miike

Postby greenfanmike2 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:35 pm

Hmm, if you aint into fucked up shit then you might not want to bother with Miike, it's kind of his speciality. Miike recommendations from me....

Ichi the Killer
The Great Yokai War
Crows Zero

All three of these a brilliant films.
greenfanmike2
Co-Host

Postby Knetan » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:05 am

hey,

the warm, yet slightly bizaree can be found in Dead And Alive 2 (stand alone sequel), The Bird People Of China is supposed to be really good as well as Rainy Dog.
Ken's other hidden caves of wonders: , ,
Knetan
Co-Host

Postby Drunken Master » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:01 am

"Audition" is well worth the effort as well as those mentioned so far as a straight horror film with a slow build up. No triads though. Just one seriously disturbed female.
I fought against the bottle.......but I had to do it drunk.

"My Style.... You Could Call It The Art Of Fighting Without Fighting" (") {-.-} (")
Drunken Master
PoF Star

Postby Stoo » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:18 am

Full Metal Yakuza is low-budget fun.

Although I find most of his stuff far too weird.
Stoo
Show Host

Return to Podcast on Fire Discussion