[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4510: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4512: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4513: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4514: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Podcast on Fire • View topic - Podcast on Fire 63: An Evening with Stoo & Jim

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:58 am

Podcast on Fire 63: An Evening with Stoo & Jim

Discuss anything POF related and post your Questions to us!

Moderator: tonsofun

Podcast on Fire 63: An Evening with Stoo & Jim

Postby Knetan » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:20 pm

hey,

Discussion and feedback is welcome here or in the comments box.

Very good and topical to bring up the exciting news that Dragon Dynasty's titles are going to be distributed in the UK and it's fun to hear that discussion coming from less rabid fans compared to the ones on other forums. Well done guys.
Ken's other hidden caves of wonders: , ,
Knetan
Co-Host

Re: Podcast on Fire 63: An Evening with Stoo & Jim

Postby tonsofun » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:14 pm

well it was about time two RATIONAL people discussed this
All castles had one major weakness. The enemy used to get in through the giftshop
tonsofun
PoF Vetern

Postby Knetan » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:21 pm

hey,

there's always room for improvement but the 3-4 "fans" demanding 150% proper subtitles (and 3-4 of those wouldn't be able to agree anyway) ain't gonna get it. They don't seem to relax EVER when watching movies ever.

You two do, among other people. :)
Knetan
Co-Host

Postby Drunken Master » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:41 pm

Have I been missing something on other forums then, Ken? I'm quite positive about this and I've mentioned it on a few forums. Would like it if they got to distribute more Shaw Brothers, but as someone who probably imports less than a dozen films a year it's nice to know a bit of patience will lead to a UK release.
I fought against the bottle.......but I had to do it drunk.

"My Style.... You Could Call It The Art Of Fighting Without Fighting" (") {-.-} (")
Drunken Master
PoF Star

Postby Knetan » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:47 pm

hey,

just taliking in general about fandom and obsession with aspects of dvd's of HK movies.
Knetan
Co-Host

Postby tonsofun » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:01 pm

150% correct subs would require many hours of work from many language experts. in my calculations that would be a very expensive dvd
All castles had one major weakness. The enemy used to get in through the giftshop
tonsofun
PoF Vetern

Postby Knetan » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:04 pm

hey,

and it would merely be for 3-4 people demanding it.

Ponder this as well, DD's edition of Fong Sai Yuk was their edited version but with the original language made to fit. Now I like many others prefer uncut but uncut isn't always super-duper THE best. The art of re-editing is an underrated one and while FSY may actually play out worse, my point is that this release that is hopefully coming to the UK isn't to be looked down upon automatically.

That's why it was nice to hear a podcast with the two guys talking of things in a rational manner and looking forward to something the UK market have not been blessed with.
Knetan
Co-Host

Postby tonsofun » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:23 pm

as far as cuts go. i just want the one on the hk version (or whatever the country of origin may be). i know most people want a massive club sandwich verson. the orginal theatrical version, with that scene the nepali version has (but others don't) and the original soundtrack from the zimbabwe version which wasn't redubbed by two guys born in 1984.
this is why i like to import the hk dvd. nine times out of ten its cheaper than buying the uk version
tonsofun
PoF Vetern

Postby chen lung » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:10 am

Scott
chen lung
Ninja Fan

Response to the podcast

Postby chen lung » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:19 am

I love Wikipedia - I'm on most days updating stuff :).

With 'My Young Auntie', the DD DVD has better video, IVL DVD has Cantonese (I had it), whilst the IVL VCD (Jim has it) has mono. Bit of a hard one.

I'm not sure if Cine-Asia will distribute Shaws in the DD deal, maybe Momentum Asia still hold those rights?

I wonder if Dragon Dynasty will actually continue. They no longer have Fortune Star titles, Bey has left, whilst nothing has been listed. Maybe they're on hold until things improve in the economy?
Scott
chen lung
Ninja Fan

Postby Knetan » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:14 am

hey,

listen to me carefully Scott because I'm going to tell you this only once:

Fans of Hong Kong cinema are a lot more intelligent than you think and those with a fetish for inferior product are some of the best Hong Kong cinema fans in the world. I am one of those. Fact. Now then...

First I have to say I think it's commendable that you're aiming to improve products Scott and anyone can see the improvements in the subtitles of The Sword BUT... you also have to come to terms with the fact that, and I've said this to you before, that people are likely to support a possible upcoming dvd of the movie released in Hong Kong with same said simplified set of subs. Why? Because importing German dvd's is expensive for some and secondly, people that gave it 5 stars out of 5 on prior viewings want to upgrade to this new, possible Hong Kong dvd and again will give it 5 stars. What you don't seem to realize is that movies communicate with you on a visual level as well as the subtitle level. Therefore loosing words or meaning in the simplified subtitles isn't an issue at all because the greatness comes through. And yes, the next viewing with a new set of subtitles by those rating it 5 out of 5 would be just as meaningful if not more... we don't feel robbed by a prior experience and if there are spelling- and grammar errors, there is actually such a thing as a suitable enough internal correcting device within you. It only works if you're part of the group of Best Hong Kong cinema fans in the world. My point is also this and I've seen people say this to you before, Scott: CHOOSE YOUR BATTLES.

Again, read carefully and think carefully about these next few words, Scott: Zero in on THE aspect of presenting Hong Kong cinema on dvd that needs improvement and dedicate yourself to that. You know, I would love to watch all movies that are compelling to me but there's simply enough not time. There's also simply not enough time to worry about and write paragraphs about presentation of TRAILERS! Seriously, this may seem like a personal attack but come on, you think you're seriously going to get a company to spend extra time, extra manpower and an additional chunk of THEIR money just so that you remain 100% satisfied? What's next? Increase the font size of the text "Special Features" on the cover and in the dvd menu? You call some of the things you mention "disasters". They are not. Choose your battles, Scott.

Your heart is in the right place, you just need to tweak your methods because you clearly come off as "nit-picky" and to be honest, I think you're wasting your time and talent on the forums. Are you at all pursuing work as a re-translator, dvd producer etc? Put together a resume, send out to companies, follow your dream. I would be so happy to see your talents being utilized. Meanwhile the rest of us will continue to enjoy movies with so called errors all over it because we get it. No... it's not that we get we have an inferior product but we accept it because we eat shit for breakfast. No, we get it and remain the best Hong Kong cinema fans in the world because of it. We have fun, we're relaxed and I'm very sorry to see you don't seem to have fun, Scott. Relax, have a nice drink of your choice, put on DEVIL FETUS and read with me:

"Come on, let's make happy". :)
Knetan
Co-Host

Postby Lantern Jaw » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:05 am

Mind if I sit on the fence? :D ...nah, I can totally dig both Ken and Scotts comments. There was a brilliant version of Fong Sai Yuk on TV in the late 90's, Great subs, HK version etc I don't see why they didn't slap that onto a DVD and have done with it.
I do think that one of the great joys of this cyber-age is being able to scout around the entire earth, to pick and choose. When that moment arrives that I have a decent version of Pedicab Driver on DVD I will let out out sigh of relief, and at the same time feel perhaps a bit empty inside. :D :D :D
"What a technique, I must try it on your sister."
Lantern Jaw
PoF Vetern

Postby chen lung » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:11 pm

Scott
chen lung
Ninja Fan

Postby Knetan » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:38 pm

hey,

I guess we have to come to terms with agreeing to disagree or agreeing that we're not on the same page. It's really hard to explain why it's often not a problem at all watching a movie with the odd grammar- and spelling error here and there or when it has a lot of them. Case in point The Sword, again I can see the simplification in the examples you posted but when watching the movie, I understand a ton of massively deep themes and subtext through those old subtitles, audio and visuals. And both sides of this "argument" applies. I just expect you on the side of wanting and getting improvement respects my stance that is about not noticing/letting these aspects bother me. I admit I've been harsh in general on the subject before but contrary to the above, I don't let what doesn't bother me bother me.

But right on Scott, doing something, being active, a factor in wanting improvement is something I respect. It's to what degree that I don't always agree on but I'll let it go easily as long as I'm never questioned. And that's what us fans have been in the recent past.
Knetan
Co-Host

Postby chen lung » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:55 pm

Sure :).

As long as they don't hamper the film down, I don't mind a few spelling or grammar errors in an excellently-translated set of subtitles as they do happen (e.g. the better of the Joy Sales re-translated range). They've happened in mine as well, but I do my best to keep a keen eye.

Did some Hui films (sadly didn't make it in time for German release). Andrew Saroch lent me 'The Private Eyes' a few years ago and I couldn't understand what was going on - I thought perhaps the films weren't to my taste. However, when it went through the re-translation, I discovered an amount of inaccuracies. Everything was so much better - I now love it! Same with 'Security Unlimited' and 'The Contract'. I do wish they'd get re-released (Cine-Asia?) so that all the comedy's picked up and appreciated by Western audiences more (a similar approach to what HKL did with 'King Of Beggars')!
Last edited by chen lung on Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott
chen lung
Ninja Fan

Next

Return to Podcast on Fire Discussion