[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4510: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4512: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4513: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4514: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Podcast on Fire • View topic - Podcast On Fire 76: Jackie Chan Special Part 1

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:28 pm

Podcast On Fire 76: Jackie Chan Special Part 1

Discuss anything POF related and post your Questions to us!

Moderator: tonsofun

Podcast On Fire 76: Jackie Chan Special Part 1

Postby Knetan » Wed May 26, 2010 5:47 pm

hey,

So here you go with the start of our coverage of Jackie Chan's career. Part 1 of probably 4. Enjoy!

Ken's other hidden caves of wonders: , ,
Knetan
Co-Host

Re: Podcast On Fire 76: Jackie Chan Special Part 1

Postby Tom K.W. » Wed May 26, 2010 8:03 pm

Absolutely stoked this sucker is out already but my downloading speeds in the evening are fucking awful :(

Catch it early tomorrow morning, day off, can't wait ! :mrgreen:
Tom K.W.
PoF Historian

Postby jrcma » Thu May 27, 2010 12:12 pm

yeah the video game is スパルタンX, Spartan X aka Kung-Fu or Kung-Fu Master they take the names of characters from Wheels on Meals
the story line is Thomas's girlfriend, Sylvia is kidnapped & fight to save her from Mr X
Last edited by jrcma on Thu May 27, 2010 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrcma
Forum Regular

Postby Knetan » Thu May 27, 2010 12:15 pm

hey,

thanks for the clarification, James. :)
Ken's other hidden caves of wonders: , ,
Knetan
Co-Host

Postby Tom K.W. » Thu May 27, 2010 12:19 pm

Fucking brilliant. Nearly 3 hours of Jackie Chan talk, just covering his early period kung fu films ? EPIC.

How long will this beast eventually be all together ? I'm excited to find out !

Great commentary on the films, I forgot how kick ass the Snake in the Eagles Shadow's soundtrack is- great idea to insert the music cues Ken, really helped me get into the film again and feel passionate about it. Talking about that film and The Young Master has really got me fired up to revisit this period in JC's career again, especially The Young Master as I've never actually seen the full, uncut version. Both that and Dragon Lord I seem to struggle to differentiate between as they were always played back to back on VHS by me, it was strange finding out years later (in Jackie's book) Dragon Lord was meant to be the sequel, as I'd always pictured them connected in my head and always viewed them that way.

Dragon Lord is definitely underrated by fans and critics, I mean it's a transitional movie so there are a few teething problems when it comes to plot and pace but the action is terrific and so is the chemistry between Mars and Jackie, definitely making it worthy of repeated viewings. The Lo Wei Jackie films range in my mind from awful to pretty good, but even the slightly smelly ones I have fond memories of.

And, Snake in the Eagle's Shadow vs. Drunken Master ?

Drunken Master gets my vote. Its slightly slicker and better made then SITES I feel. Although SITES has more emotional content and a more believeable connection between Jackie and Simon Yuen (and a better soundtrack) I tend to laugh more at DM and marvel at the fight scenes a bit more.

Great stuff Ken, and big probs to Brian aswell; you too really made good conversationalists- very interesting, never boring and Brian had some great stories to tell.

Loved it.
Tom K.W.
PoF Historian

Postby Drunken Master » Thu May 27, 2010 12:33 pm

I can never make my mind up between "Snake In The Eagle's Shadow" and "Drunken Master". It all depends which one I'm watching at the time usually because it's that close. :?

I'm surprised you haven't seen "Half A Loaf Of Kung Fu", Ken. It is the type of film that would have gotten more discussion if you had. Dean Shek is classic in it. Sadly my copy is a UK released (Dubbed) version which does not have the credits. :( God knows why they were cut? :x I'll have to try and search out a HK release.

After this great opener to the series I must get around to rewatching "Fantasy Mission Force" too. It is a bad film, but a bad film worth watching over and over. :D

Looking forward to the next ones now.
I fought against the bottle.......but I had to do it drunk.

"My Style.... You Could Call It The Art Of Fighting Without Fighting" (") {-.-} (")
Drunken Master
PoF Star

Postby Lantern Jaw » Thu May 27, 2010 5:30 pm

"What a technique, I must try it on your sister."
Lantern Jaw
PoF Vetern

Postby Drunken Master » Fri May 28, 2010 5:10 am

Well done for including music in this epidode, Ken.

I've been humming "Magic Fly" by Space ever since. My brother actually posesses a copy of Space's LP. I'll have to borrow it now to play the damned thing to get it out of my head. :( :cry:
:

"My Style.... You Could Call It The Art Of Fighting Without Fighting" (") {-.-} (")
Drunken Master
PoF Star

Postby Lantern Jaw » Sat May 29, 2010 9:12 pm

Yeah, I love the bursts of music in the show. The banter between Ken and Brian was great and yeah the bit in Young Master where Whang In Sik breaks loose is a moment of editing genius. Young Master was never one of my faves, too drawn out and I always thought it weird that Holst's the Planet Suite was used in a Kung-Fu movie, so I'd like to re-watch it with the enthusiasm that you two have. Excellent stuff.
"What a technique, I must try it on your sister."
Lantern Jaw
PoF Vetern

Postby Stoo » Sun May 30, 2010 1:28 pm

Stoo
Show Host

Postby Drunken Master » Sun May 30, 2010 3:49 pm

Drunken Master
PoF Star

Postby Stoo » Sun May 30, 2010 4:53 pm

Possibly the fight against fung hak on and lee hoi sang could have been shorter too, yeah when they started establishing "rounds" in the final fight you knew this fight was going to be a while. But such a good film!!
Stoo
Show Host

Postby Tom K.W. » Mon May 31, 2010 6:58 pm

Tom K.W.
PoF Historian

Postby TheShayneShow » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:18 am

Just finished this episode, I really enjoyed it even though I've only seen a small fraction of Jackie Chan's early films, I may just have to pick up a few of the movies you guys talked about.
TheShayneShow
PoF Historian

Postby skid » Fri May 06, 2011 1:06 pm

Does anyone know the intro song to this episode?

Thanks
skid
Dean Shek Fan

Next

Return to Podcast on Fire Discussion