[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4510: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4512: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4513: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4514: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Podcast on Fire • View topic - Commentaries

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:09 pm

Commentaries

Help us by answering our polls...or die...crane style.

Should we base all our Commentaries on UK Releases

Yes
No votes
No
71%
Other - please explain
29%

Total votes : 7

Commentaries

Postby Stoo » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:53 am

Since POF is mainly a UK based podcast (well, it's 1/3 Swedish), we are mainly recording for the english language audience, I think most of our listeners are based in the UK, so when we're doing audio commentaries they should obviously be for the UK DVDs, am I right?
Stoo
Show Host

Re: Commentaries

Postby Drunken Master » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:20 am

Good question Stoo. The first one you did was "Eastern Condors" and you went with the HKL release. It may depend on the actual film. It would be easier, and there is also the thing on running time. Thinking about it, doesn't PAL run slightly faster than other NTSC, so if you are using the same cut from another region you would end up out of sync anyway?
I fought against the bottle.......but I had to do it drunk.

"My Style.... You Could Call It The Art Of Fighting Without Fighting" (") {-.-} (")
Drunken Master
PoF Star

Postby Stoo » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:46 am

Stoo
Show Host

Postby Lantern Jaw » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:56 am

How much further ahead would for example a 2 hour PAL DVD be at the end of a movie compared to that of its NTSC counterpart? ... I mean if it's only say 5 seconds, I'm sure folks wouldn't mind too much. :)
"What a technique, I must try it on your sister."
Lantern Jaw
PoF Vetern

Postby Stoo » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:21 pm

im sure its closer to the line of 5 minutes?
Stoo
Show Host

Postby Drunken Master » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:27 pm

I think it runs at approx 4% faster, so the longer the film the bigger the end time gap by the end. Over the space of 90 minutes it could easily add up to a couple of minutes.

"My Style.... You Could Call It The Art Of Fighting Without Fighting" (") {-.-} (")
Drunken Master
PoF Star

Postby jrcma » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:03 am

I think if your a good Asian film fan you have a multi region dvd player anyway.
jrcma
Forum Regular

Postby Knetan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:29 pm

hey,

yea and the movie choices are a bit eclectic too... meaning UK release ain't gonna happen but by You Tubing these suckers it helps get an audience.
Ken's other hidden caves of wonders: , ,
Knetan
Co-Host

Postby Drunken Master » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:39 pm

It's obviously a better experience to have the DVD, but YouTube certainly makes it an experience listeners can share without owning. Plus YouTube may bring in listeners who may not have already listened to the podcast.

Drunken Master
PoF Star

Postby Knetan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:41 pm

hey,

indeed. I also put them up on my own site in the special features section:

http://www.sogoodreviews.com/specialfeatures.html
Knetan
Co-Host

Postby Drunken Master » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:44 pm

I voted no, by the way. The majority of my Asia UK released DVDs are HKL ones so they already have Bey Logan chat tracks.

Drunken Master
PoF Star

Postby tonsofun » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:04 pm

i think a commentary should be based on a poular release of a certain film. hkl are good as they proved very popular. general hk releases would be good too if the film isn't released in most countries.
as long as the version is gettable at a decent price i'd be happy to fork out money for any film cough does.
All castles had one major weakness. The enemy used to get in through the giftshop
tonsofun
PoF Vetern

Postby Knetan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:19 pm

hey,

and for instance, Scared Stiff... it's obtainable so the choice isn't THAT eclectic.
Knetan
Co-Host

Postby Drunken Master » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:01 pm

A lot of the old Universe DVDs and the new Joy Sales Legendary Collection DVDs sell for around 38 to 40 HKD.

Drunken Master
PoF Star

Postby Tom K.W. » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:44 pm

I voted no as the last couple of commentaries has had the added bonus for me, personally of seeing the film for the first time, widening my horizons.

If it's not available on DVD in the UK, there's slightly more chance I haven't seen it.
Tom K.W.
PoF Historian

Next

Return to Polls